Servicing Your Furnace
Regardless of your type of furnace, some maintenance procedures are universal:
1. Check the draft hood for discoloration, soot, dust.
2. Check the flue for deterioration, white marks, rust.
3. Check the chimney for blockage, broken mortar, crumbling bricks.
4. Keep the furnace motor oiled. Check the belt — it is replaceable. OR
5. Call a local HVAC Professional for annual maintenance checkup.
Safety concerns: Never store things near a heater. A pilot with a yellow flame may require adjustment by a contractor. Call for help if you experience carbon monoxide poisoning (headache, chest tightness, burning eyes, weakness, vomiting, dizziness, loss of muscular control).